Followers

4.17.2010

2 People + 2 Hearts= 1 Beat: The Love Of A Mother

Today's Quote

"Theres no way I can pay you back, but my plan is to show you that I understand. 
You are APPRECIATED!"

2PAC- "Dear Mama"


Wassup Everyone?

This post is dedicated to the very special lady in my life. No matter what happens, no matter how many arguments we get into, no matter what mean words we may say to each other, nothing can express the love I feel for you. You are my everything, My heartbeat, my air, my life, and I love you with all my heart. 
Barbara, you are truly the world's best mother, and words cant describe how blessed I am to have you as my mommy. 
This one's for you...



The video above is a special performance by legendary songstress Minnie Riperton on a 1970's show called "The Midnight Special".

This song is very dear to my heart. Is it the melody? Nope. Now, it seems many get this song confused with just some kind of simple tribute to a soulmate, when not many people know that Loving You, was originally a lullaby for her daughter, comedian Maya Rudolph! 

As a child, I was always hooked on this song. One of my most fondest memories connected me to her. I was no more than about 3 years old and I remember sitting on an old fashioned Brown's Velvet milk crate in the kitchen of our Florida project apartment. It was early in the afternoon and I was soooooo sleepy. My mom had been doing my hair for a hot minute and I had dozed off about 2 or 3 times. Then I heard it. I heard that beautiful instrumental, and the next thing I knew, I had fell asleep on my mom's leg.  It was something within that song that made me feel like no matter what is going on outside, as long as I was with my mom, I was safe from the wicked ways of the world, and to this day, I still feel the same way. Years pass by and I search for this song on Youtube one day because I have the urge, and I just happened to stumble across this video. As I watched, my emotions flooded all over again. I cried and ran to hug my mom. I feel like Minnie's eyes looked deep in my soul. She stares into the camera many times during the performance, but when she sings Maya's name, thats when I knew. I've always wondered why I was so connected to this song, and the reason was staring me in the face the whole time..

"Loving you, is easy 'cause you're beautiful..
Everyday of my life is filled with loving you..
No one else can make me feel, the color that you bring..
Please stay with me while we grow old, and we will live each day in the Springtime..
Cause loving you has made my life so beautiful..
And everything that I do, is out of loving you.."

Never have I heard such beautiful words spoken by a mother, to their child. 
Loving You is just a testament of a mothers love for her daughter.
How her life has changed since Maya came into her life.

It just makes me realize how much I love my mom. She's one of a kind, and special to me in every way.
We have our differences, like most families, and sometimes, I just wanna push her down a flight of stairs..LMAO, but she's my mom. No matter how ditsy, dingy, unorganized, crazy, selfish, stupid I can become, no matter how much I may talk back and turn away from her advice, and no matter how much I can fuck up in a lifetime, she will ALWAYS love me unconditionally. And that, is a blessing within itself!

I say all that to say this...SHOW YOUR MOM YOU APPRECIATE HER!
She's the only one you have! Never take her for granted, because when she's gone, thats it!


So todays question is..

Do you have any songs/videos that remind you of you mom or parent? 
Leave your comments below!

Let that soak in people =]

Thanks for reading

Much love...

Joni Cee: [Barbara's] Momma's Baby =]






*The whistle register is the highest register of the human voice, lying above falsetto and modal registries. Mariah Carey, Shanice, and Chante Moore are known whistle register singers, but MINNIE was the FIRST! =]

No comments:

Listen to My Jiggy Jamsz!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones